Chowdhury Mehedi Hasan
Chowdhury Mehedi Hasan
School of Biological Sciences, University of Queensland
Brisbane, QLD, 4072, Australia
The evolution of multidrug resistance has limited our current therapeutic options by conferring resistance to virtually all classes of antibiotics currently available for the treatment of infectious diseases. I have extensively worked with molecular epidemiological study of these multidrug resistant bacteria carrying ESBLs and carbapenemases including, NDM-1 as well as VIM metallo-β-lactamase. Therefore, I am interested to study the processes by which multidrug resistance evolve and spread in bacterial populations. This study will provide us with valuable information regarding how multi-drug resistance evolve in pathogenic bacterial population.
2013- present: PhD student
2011-2012: Research Assistant, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
2009-2011: MSc in Infection Biology, Uppsala Universitet, Uppsala, Sweden
2002-2007: BSc in Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, Islamic University, Bangladesh
Publications and conference papers:
1. Titelman E., Hasan, C.M., Iversen, A., Naucler, P., Kais, M., Kalin, M., Giske, C.G. Faecal carriage of extended-spectrum b-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae is common 12 months after infection and is related to strain factors. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, in press.
2. Hasan, C.M., Turlej-Rogacka, A., Vatopoulos, A.C., Giakkoupi, P., Maâtallah, M. & Giske C.G. Dissemination of blaVIM in Greece at the peak of the epidemic of 2005–2006: clonal expansion of Klebsiella pneumoniae clonal complex 147.
Clinical Microbiology and Infection 20(1):34-7 (2013)
3. Giske C.G., Fröding I., Hasan C.M., Turlej-Rogacka A., Toleman M., Livermore D., Woodford N. & Walsh T.R. Diverse Sequence Types of Klebsiella pneumoniae Contribute to the Dissemination of blaNDM-1 in India, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 56(5):2735-8 (2012)
4. Hasan CM, Turlej-Rogacka A, Vatopoulos AC, Giakkoupi P, Maâtallah M, Giske CG. Dissemination of blaVIM in Greece at the peak of the epidemic of 2005-2006: clonal expansion of Klebsiella pneumoniae clonal complex 147. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013 Mar 7. (Part of this work was presented at the 22nd ECCMID congress, 2012, London, the UK)
5. Emilia Titelman, Chowdhury Mehedi Hasan, Aina Iversen, Madeleine Kais, Mats Kalin and Christian G. Giske. Fecal carriage of extended-spectrum β-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae is common twelve months after infection and is related to strain factors. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 2014. (Part of this work was presented at the 22nd ECCMID congress, 2012, London, the UK)